County begins new bridge project the first week in August
Salt Creek bridge north of Chestnut to be closed until December

Send a link to a friend  Share

[August 04, 2020] 

The Logan County Highway Department will begin a bridge deck replacement project on the Salt Creek bridge on County Highway 6. The bridge is located about two miles north of Chestnut on 2200th Avenue, near the intersection with 1100th Street.

The project is scheduled to begin the first week of August. The road will be closed to traffic and will remain closed until December.

The existing bridge was built in 1961. The bridge deck has significant deterioration, and some of the steel bridge beams are in need of repair.

The project was awarded to Sangamo Construction Company, located in Springfield, Illinois. The low bid on the project was $1,299,346. Logan County will use federal bridge program funds for 80% of the cost. Local property tax funds will be used for the remaining 20% local share.

[to top of second column]

The bridge deck will be completely removed. Repairs will be made to the steel bridge beams and to one of the concrete piers. A new concrete deck will be constructed that will improve the weight carrying capacity of the bridge. New bridge rail and guardrail will also be installed.

Cooperation and patience is always appreciated during the construction season as we continue to improve the safety of our roads and bridges. Status of our local construction projects can be found on the News & Closures page of the County Highway Department website.

[Bret A. Aukamp
Logan County Engineer]

Back to top